Thursday, January 7, 2010

I'm back, and boy do I have a lot to blog about!

So I know I said I'd keep this thing up to date and I obviously have done a very poor job of doing that.

That said, I have a very good reason to resume writing this blog.

The engine in my 122 broke a rod in December. Poked a hole in the block. It's not pretty. So now it's time to replace the engine, basically. See attached picture:



It's not pretty.

This time around I'll be taking lots of pictures and writing about what I'm doing. My hope is that anyone can read this blog and follow along my daily exploits, and most importantly understand what I'm doing at any given time.

Fellow Volvo nut Lee Boerner had the most important pieces I'll need for the project. He sold me a B-20 (from a '75 240) engine, along with new over-bore pistons, bearings, and a machined crank, all for a very fair price.

There is much work left to be done, but how nice it will be when it's all finally back together, and I'm behind the wheel. Feel free to post any questions or suggestions you may have along the way!

My goal is to have the car back on the road by the end of this month (January.) We'll see if I make it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dylan. Great job on your 122 and blog, nicely done. I saw your name on an IPD post for a clutch cable. Very good and important review; I had the same thing happen, the clutch cable holder at the firewall put enough tension on the wall to create a tear in the metal around the hole that the cable passes through. I am studying my problem and have decided to weld the tear (about 2" long) and then reinforce the area with a piece of aluminum. It took me a while to get to this solution. Would you mind telling me how you went about fixing your firewall?

    Thank you very much for your time and for all of the important info that you post. Good luck on your 122 project.

    Regards,

    Steve (steven@machttone.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,

    I just welded a washer to the firewall. I have pictures of the repair I'd be happy to email to you.

    ReplyDelete